Skip to main content

Carbon off-setting for flights and offices

I am embarrassed to say we took 2 round trip short haul flights in May alone. One to the Outer Hebrides for a Scottish isles wedding and one to Berlin to see the sights. We did try to take trains to both destinations but the costs and travel time were not possible.

That said, the flights were still quite costly (though 1/2 as much as trains) and as I say every time I'm stuck in an airport, flying always takes way longer than people perceive. By the time you get to the airport, go through security, wait for boarding, lay-overs, delays, wait for luggage at other end... The 630 miles door to door to the Hebrides was 9 hours from London via Glasgow and Berlin (about 650 miles) was 6 hours each way including delays. If we had used the trains and ferries we would have only traveled a few more hours each way.

To offset these travels, plus our household emissions, I did some carbon neutralization research and shopping today. Everyone talks about carbon offsetting but I don't know anyone who has actually done it who recommends any company in particular. So I did a Google search to get me on my way.

+ Carbonneutral.com - They do gifts and household offsetting packages. But when I tried to calculate my emissions and find appropriate offsetting projects, their website structure and design got in the way and I went in circles. Noble cause, bad website. If you're the perseverant type, give it a look.

Frustrated, I tried my search again and ended up at:



+ Climatecare.org - This website is easy to get around, has clear information on all projects, videos of projects in action and a long list of partners. The easy to use calculators help you figure out how much CO2 you've emitted with flights, household and driving and the cost to offset it through their various programs which include:
Bioenergy (turning crop waste into biomass briquettes)
Human energy (replacing diesel water pumps on farms with human powered treadle pumps,much like the play pumps)
Wind energy - building wind turbine infrastructures
Efficient lighting and cooking stoves
Rain forest restoration

Each flight we took in May was about .4 tons of CO2 for the both of us. And I rounded up for our household emissions (though the husband just reminded me we already subscribe to green energy sources for our electricity). All in the costs of offsetting for the year was about £35 ($65 dollars).

I also did a quick calculation for my company, where staff fly constantly to meetings with oversees customers and we have a huge, old office with air conditioning that's on even when the windows are open and the cost was in the range of £4,000 pounds to offset. Me and our office manager only just got paper recycling costs sorted (we now recycle all paper) - this will be my next mission.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recycling centre visit request

I have made an official request to visit any of London's recycling centres for an in-depth look at how they really work. Questions like a) who sorts out the 'mixed bags' full of various types of recyclables and b) how are they actually recycled?   Most people I speak to are cynical that anything happens to the mixed recycling bags and I myself don't understand how our typical mixed recycling bag, which will usually contain up to 6 types of plastic, aluminum, glass and various types of paper (including little bitty pieces) can be efficiently sorted unless there is a huge team rifling through it all on conveyor belts.  I want to know - is it all a London borough con? Where is the evidence of how it is all actually recycled? I can never find any reports on it, apart from % of waste that is sent to recycling sites, not how much is actually recycled or how it is recycled.  One of our friends accidentally put his recycling bag out a day early on his street in Notting Hill (

Why isn't all packaging recyclable?

It's been an interesting week trying to buy household products and food only made from recyclable packaging. A mixed bag. Literally. For example, I just made a rocket (arugula) salad with fresh mozzarella. The rocket I bought from Waitrose last week was in a recyclable bag made from recycled plastic. However, the rocket I bought from Sainbury's today was in a bag that did not have the recyclable sign, nor was it made from recycled plastic. The Sainsbury's mozzarella was equally guilty. However, Sainsbury's does use some bags that are recyclable, mainly for their organic products. Less confusing were the products in cardboards boxes/cartons and aluminum packaging. All clearly recyclable. And almost all of the plastic packaging we bought was recyclable apart from a few random items we bought at Marks and Spencers and the lunch spot Eat. Things like salad containers that looked like they were candidates for the recycling pile turned out not to have any recycling symbols

The problem with flying

Everyone who knows me knows that I hate flying. It's loud, uncomfortable, confining and if things go wrong there's no way out. (I'm an advocate of parachutes under seat, not inflatable vests.) But the real reason I hate flying these days is the environmental impact. a) Apparently you're better off driving to your destination, alone , even if it's thousands of miles away, than being on a full plane. That's how bad the fuel consumption is. b) Planes dump their emissions in the most delicate part of the stratosphere and there's nothing to help mitigate the damage. For all of the pollution cars create, we have our plant life down here to help soften the blow. c) They are noisy, booming things and no matter where we go, we seem to be able to hear one or see one, even the far hills of Scotland. d) The amount of packaging they use per passenger is amazing. When my husband recently flew on a short haul flight to Amsterdam, he asked the air steward if they recy